Length: 21 - 24"
Habitat: Near lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. Prefers habitat with tall trees or snags for nesting.
Diet: Almost exclusively fish, including flounder, bullhead, and perch; occasionally, frogs, snakes, birds, and small mammals.
Calls of the Osprey
Interesting Facts about the Osprey
- The Osprey is widely distributed throughout the word and can be found on every continent except Antarctica.
- These birds will nest in loose colonies if the habitat has sufficient food to support this larger group.
- Since the Osprey feeds almost entirely on live fish, it is also known as the Fish Hawk.
- Once it locates its prey, it dives feet first into the water, often becoming completely submerged before rising out of the water with its catch. This raptor is able to close its nostrils to keep the water out while doing this.
- Unlike other raptors, the Osprey can bend its outer toe backward, allowing it to grasp a fish firmly with two talons in front and two in back.